(For many walk, of whom I have told you often,
and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly,
and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
Philippians 3:18-19
The CROSS
The Cross! What does it mean to you?
In today’s world of fashion and religion more and more people are wearing a cross. Every where you look or someone you know wears a cross. It is worn on necklaces, bracelets, earrings, rings, belts, hand bags, clothing, and tattoos and even on the rear view mirror of cars. These are just to name a few. Believers and non- believers a like are wearing a cross. What is the significance behind the crosses we wear?
Many people who wear a cross as jewellery, on their clothing or even as a tattoo think of it as pretty piece, a nice ornament or as fashion. It has no special spiritual representation for them. Many drivers hang it around the rear view mirror of their car for protection and safety on the road and against accidents.
Many Christians who wear a cross sees it as a reminder of Jesus Christ and that He died an agonizingly painful death for their sins. A famous poet describes what the cross means to her and why she carries it around daily in her pocket.
I carry a cross in my pocket
A simple reminder to me
Of the fact that I am a Christian
No matter where I may be
I am sure you are familiar with this famous poem “A Cross in My Pocket”
Most people know that the cross was the method of the death of Jesus Christ, but few seem to realize that it tells the story of God’s salvation plan. The cross represents the redemption that Jesus won for us. There is no salvation without redemption and the cross is where Jesus redeemed us.
Therefore the cross is not just a religious or fashion or pretty symbol but rather the very heart of the Gospel.
I want you to imagine with me; whether you agree with me or not just imagine this for a moment. “I often wonder if Jesus Christ had died a different way; If He was instead shot or maybe stoned; would people wear a gun or a stone around their necks, their wrist or on their clothing? Would they still see it as a religious, a fashion or pretty symbol?”
When I think of The Cross or when I see a cross I think of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and His sacrifice; He became nothing, poured out to death. He has given me the gift of life.
Do you carry or wear a cross, and what does it mean to you?
Thank You for the Cross, my Lord!

No comments:
Post a Comment